Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Christmas Is Less Than Six Months Away!

I've had a Christmas countdown since December 26, 2012, and now the wait is halfway over! I think it's always time for Christmas! I drink hot chocolate often, we listen to uplifting Christmas music, and this weekend we're having a Christmas in June party with two of the dear soldiers we've been meeting with. Our sweet Kevin heads back to the states on July 3! We're heartbroken to lose him, but we're thrilled for this new chapter in his life, and what better way to celebrate than with a Christmas in June party!!!

As I mentioned last week about Vicenza being on fire, I'd have to say that temperature wise, that statement was fairly accurate. This past week, one of the days was 102 degrees Fahrenheit, not including the humidity! and that day we were outside for the majority of the day. I knew that it was ridiculously hot and my body was a bit overwhelmed, but it wasn't until the next day that I realized how dehydrated I was. After some alarming symptoms, and advice from my lovely mission mom, we realized I had heat stroke and I needed to rest for a couple of days. Ugh, being slowed down. World's worst. I HATE slowing down. But we soon realized that we can't be as effective instruments or missionaries if we can't take care of ourselves.

So, Friday as I was resting, something absolutely UNBELIEVABLE happened. I was in some groggy, half- sleep, half- dreamland state, when I woke up and walked out into our living room. My bangin' Beuts asks me how I slept then said to me with absolute honesty and seriousness, "I'm about 90% sure we just had an earthquake." She then said, "I'm about 90% sure you have heat stroke too." She then proceeded to tell me about how she was sitting on the couch with her head resting on the wall behind her when her head was bumped a couple of times by the wall-- she thought it was the neighbors blasting lots of music. But then she saw our drying racks outside start to shake, and our large bookshelf start to sort of sway back and forth.

COME TO FIND OUT... there was in fact an earthquake! Never doubt Sorella Beutler! I must've been gently lulled to sleep by the movement! I think I heard that the epicenter was in Firenze, and we just got a bit of it, but yup, we had an earthquake! I'd like to think it's in response to the powerful missionary work here in my beautiful Italia, that the earth beneath our feet just can't handle it no more! No, scherzo. Pero, davvero, questa terra e benedetta e speciale! (No joke. But, really, this earth is blessed and special!)

Comunque, (However,) I love to be a missionary. I never imagined a year ago, that I would be here, at this age, speaking this language-- and yet, how fortunate I am. I have a testimony of a living prophet, his announcement 8 months ago changed my life immediately. At times, I still can't believe that I'm a missionary, I'm one of "those people" with the black tags, I can't believe that I'm living in Italy. That sense of marveling usually kicks in when we're travelling on the bus or train and I'm able to see more of this beautiful country. I can't imagine being anywhere else or doing anything else.

Sometimes I have dreams that I'm back at home but my heart is always broken as to why I'm not a missionary anymore-- my mission is so precious to me. These moments and memories I cherish. I adore my sweet companion and cherish her with all of my heart. My heart is in this work because I've been able to witness the sweetness of the Atonement not just in my own life but in the lives of these good people. Grazie all'Espiazione, sono qui. Sono una missionaria. Sono grata, fortunata, e contenta. Il mio cuore e piena con amore e felicita. (Because of the Atonement, I'm here. I am a missionary. I am grateful, lucky and happy. My heart filled with love and happiness.)

Beut's and Baer's desk. You can sure see Sorella Baer's style!

The world is ready for the message of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. The earth is even shakin' it's so stoked:)

Con tutto del mio amore (With all of my love),
Sorella Baer

p.s. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. "The earth is shakin' it's so stoked." Holy smokes Sorella Baer, you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete